1.11.2006

resolution/revolution

when i think @ new year's resolutions, i think @ failure. not even my own, necessarily. it seems everyone fails to realize their new year's resolution. (everyone except you, reader. you'll stick to yours, i know it!) i don't think anyone can realistically expect to successfully change their lives as if they were flipping a switch. "lights are on; lights are off. i'm a lazy, selfish glutton; i'm a model citizen." not that it never happens, but i expect i'll just win the lottery before that works for me. (i don't play the lottery.)

of course, my own failures do color my impression, i'm sure. i'm batting 1000, as far as breaking resolutions. wanna know why? me, too.

the problem with resolutions is in the definition of the word. a typical resolution begins, "i will..." no, i won't. i ought to have figured that out by now. i can't do it. i'm not strong enough. we all of us fall short. we all miss the mark.

unless we cheat. i never have to fall short, if i set the bar low enough; i need never miss the mark, if i aim at something already within reach. oh, but wait. that's no way to affect a change, now is it? well, what if i just hire a ringer? someone to give be a boost, so i can set the bar as high as i please? someone to guide my arm, & keep me on target. hang on, i think i might be onto something.

i resolve to cheat @ every turn. i'm not going to do any of the work myself. i'm going to lean on my Helper, & let Him carry me. but then, that's not really a resolution, is it? i haven't actually resolved to do anything. yet, by revolting against the idea that i'm good enough to do it myself, i've now resolved every possible conflict in my life. revolt=resolve.

then, here is my new year's revolution: i surrender my imperfect will. i haven't the will-power to accomplish anything, so i lend Him my will, & He lends me His power. it's like reverse independence day.

9 Comments:

Blogger jmg said...

wow. that's exactly what i meant in my post about new years..but you say it so much more clearly!

12 January, 2006 20:45  
Blogger starbuck said...

thanks. prob'ly 'cause i've read some c.s. lewis more recently than you.

12 January, 2006 23:45  
Blogger jmg said...

that's quite an assumption...but unfortunately true. :( someday i will have time to read in english again!!!

13 January, 2006 00:55  
Blogger scøüpe said...

speaking of which, does anyone happen to have any of my c.s. lewis books?
i can't find "the problem with pain", "the screwtape letters" or "the great divorce"

16 January, 2006 01:10  
Blogger jmg said...

um, uh, i don't know what you're talking about. i've had my copies for years....

16 January, 2006 15:53  
Blogger edumangia said...

Hey Chris, good to read you again! Great post, too.

16 January, 2006 22:29  
Blogger starbuck said...

c.s. lewis? who's c.s. lewis?
and who's this "scoupe," of whom you speak?

... yeah, i have "the problem of pain," & "the weight of glory."

Thanks, Eduardo. Coming from someone as studied as yourself, that means a lot. (No offense, Fro.)

16 January, 2006 22:44  
Blogger jmg said...

none taken--i'm barely amateur compared to Eduardo. and his English is better than my Spanish will ever be!

17 January, 2006 15:21  
Blogger edumangia said...

Oh, you're gonna make me blush, you...

18 January, 2006 08:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home